Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Alt Framework Hackfest

We here at IT appreciate the diversity of web frameworks and methodologies that have arisen or gained popularity over the last few years, and we've had our filthy paws over and into a few of them. Some we like more than others, and some of us are more vocal in our advocacy than others.

What I'd like to propose to my co-conspirators here is that we have a little hackfest with some of our favorite web frameworks over the next month or two, and see what develops. I'd propose some similar goal to be developed in each framework, but that might be too constricting. I'll let you guys weigh in before we kick it off, just to get consensus, but I'm guessing spinning out a blog in each shouldn't be too hard, and it would allow for embellishment as the frameworks and time allow. (note, I know we all have crazy schedules right now, which is why I think a month or two sounds good... correct me if I'm wrong)

Frameworks I'd like to see included:

I think it would be great to show some of these frameworks side by side, performing similar tasks. Sure, the validity of the comparison would be limited by the scope of the project, but I think it would be nice to see functional apps from each, if we're going to keep hearing the same evangelism about Framework X or System Y every damn time I log on.

Cheers.

4 comments:

Rand said...

Yeah, I could have included vanilla Rails, Django, PHP, etc... and maybe someone will want to contribute those. If so, I encourage them to speak up here.

Giles Bowkett said...

I'll be using Seaside a bit, and I know Justin's been playing with Happs, although I can't necessarily commit to anything, as it looks as if I'm moving temporarily to the Bay and that'll definitely keep me crazy busy.

But, for what it's worth, my blog already has loads of Seaside content, so I thought I'd just mention a few other nifty frameworks as well: ErlyWeb (Erlang framework), Phaux (PHP with Seaside-like continuations), Jifty (strange Perl framework with Seaside-y continuations and Rails-y code generators), and Scala With Sails (now called I think Escalator or possibly Lift).

There's been an explosion of open source Web frameworks ever since Rails, and to some extent actually predating it. Really Rails was one of several open-source frameworks from the period of about 2001 to 2004, with a second surge coming after the advent and huge success of Rails.

(Django, Turbogears, Iowa, Cake and Seaside all existed before Rails, but there've been more new Web frameworks developed after Rails than before, as far as I can tell, so I think it's safe to say that Rails gave the idea serious momentum.)

Giles Bowkett said...

There's also Catalyst in Perl, but Catalyst is a lot less interesting than Jifty. Catalyst came out right after the Rails hype started, I got the feeling it was Perl people reacting defensively to show that they could do the same thing. (Very much like Pylons in the Python community.) You can develop quickly in Catalyst, if you happen to be well-versed in all its component parts, but it isn't really competitive with Rails in that sense. Kind of the whole point with Rails is that you don't need to know the internals at all (although it certainly does help!).

Justin George said...

One I've been wanting lately is a simple photo gallery app. Think I'm going to try HAppS to do it