Saturday, May 24, 2008

Bouncy visitors

Ouch! That's a low bounce rate!

Most simple websites and blogs have a really high bounce rate. Mine hovers around 95%.

So we lost 95% of the folks in the first three words of that sentence. Ouch.

Thus, you need to make the first words of the page good ones. One of the Portland bloggers I know just swapped out his Wordpress [Edit: Blogger! my bad.] default title text with a custom image and cut his bounce rate to one-tenth what it was.

The blog header in question

So, that being said:

  • If you have a site, think about the first thing people see.
  • I'm going to go get myself a custom header

2 comments:

M. Drummond said...

hey, I'm a startin' out graphic designer, I can help you out with a custom header if you want. Email me at mack.drummond@gmail.com if you're interested.

Justin George said...

Send you an email, thanks for the offer! I need to redo my blogger theme too.