So I've learned (possibly more than I ever wanted to know) about migraines lately. Here's some tips if you're getting them:
- Everyone is different, so this list isn't anywhere near definitive.
- Nasal sprays don't work.
- Neither do (normal) antidepressants. e.g. Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, etc
- Opiates (vicodin, percocet, oxycontin, etc) don't work. But they do make you not care which can be your last option at times.
- Maxalt (rizatriptan) is pretty effective and works quickly. Maybe 3/4 of the time it can kill a migraine.
- Supplements apparently can help prevent migraines. If you're getting more than eight a month, try petadolex / butterbur, riboflavin, coenzyme Q, or magnesium. Petadolex is sold in approximately the right doses (usually with riboflavin). Riboflavin you want 200mg/day twice a day. Ditto Coenzyme Q. Magnesium I'm not as clear what works.